Flexenclosure delivers award winning Tier III data centre for Tigo Business Paraguay
Share this article
Tigo Paraguay – part of the global Millicom group – is the leading communications provider in Paraguay, delivering mobile, Internet, fixed broadband, satellite and cable
television to almost four million customers.
With a strong and established position in the consumer market, Tigo was keen to expand its portfolio of B2B offerings. And with the business services market still very much in its infancy, there was a clear opportunity for Tigo to take first mover advantage and secure significant market share.
In order to do this though, they would need a new and sophisticated data centre facility, capable of delivering the data hosting, cloud, colocation, disaster recovery and other business services the market was increasingly demanding
From the outset, Tigo set the bar extremely high, demonstrating its commitment to bringing the latest technology to the country and to its corporate clients.
In order to provide both the breadth of services and peace of mind their customers required, the data centre would need to be world class – designed and built to Uptime Institute Tier III standards. And it would need to be future proof – with the facility capable of being doubled in size as the business expanded, but without interrupting ongoing operations. The site identified in the Paraguayan capital Asunción was limited in size, so it would be critical to maximise the design efficiency of the facility’s footprint if Tigo’s future expansion goals were to be possible. Its urban location also created significant access issues for the large prefabricated data centre modules. And the Paraguayan rains made the ground conditions extremely treacherous, requiring vey close attention to safe construction processes on site.
In addition to all the above, the data centre not only had to be world class, it needed to look spectacular – unlike any other facility in the country.
Flexenclosure’s prefabricated eCentre data centre was selected as the ideal solution.
• From Day One a close and collaborative working relation ship was established between Flexenclosure, Tigo Business and Uptime Institute. The result is the first professional colocation facility in the country and the first Tier III certified prefabricated data centre built anywhere in Latin America.
• Flexenclosure took ownership of the project as a full turnkey operation, with a dedicated Sweden and Paraguay-based team overseeing every aspect of the undertaking including factory manufacturing, transport, logistics, management of local civil works contractors, site construction and final commissioning.
• The facility is a hybrid construction, including a traditional brick and mortar office building and a prefabricated modular eCentre data centre, seamlessly wrapped in a
stunning aluminium and glass façade.
• The site has been configured such that the data centre can be expanded from its initial capacity of 110 racks to over 260 racks without any disruption to ongoing
operations. And with the white space completely pillar free, there is no limit to the internal configuration options.
• The facility truly is second to none, having been announced winner of the 2016 Datacenter Dynamics “Best Modular Implementation” Award in Latin America.
The judging panel recognised in particular the innovation in design, quality of construction, speed of implementation and foundation it provides Tigo to
deliver new advanced services.
• The result is a world class showcase data centre that has become the central primary site of Tigo Business’ network in Paraguay and strongly positions Tigo as the
service provider of choice in the business communications market.
“We see significant opportunities to drive the development of the colocation and cloud services markets in Paraguay and needed a high quality data centre facility that we can easily and efficiently expand as our business grows. The facility that Flexenclosure has built has met all of our needs and exceeded our expectations.”
Juan Emilio Roa, Director,
Tigo Business Paraguay
The Flexenclosure Advantage
By working with Flexenclosure, Tigo Business Paraguay was able to capitalise on a number of significant eCentre differentiators:
• Flexenclosure was able to manage the entire project as a full turnkey solution, custom-designing every element of the facility to precise Tigo requirements.
• Maximum preparation, configuration and testing of the eCentre modules in Flexenclosure’s factory in Sweden ensured the extreme level of quality and reliability
required of this mission critical facility before its delivery to Paraguay.
• The same team that built the eCentre in Sweden travelled to Asunción for its installation and final commissioning, thus ensuring the precise attention to detail found in all eCentre facilities.
• eCentre’s modular construction allows for the expansion of any existing eCentre site without interrupting on-going data centre operations.
• And with extensive experience deploying prefabricated data centre and technical facilities in the most challenging environments in over 50 countries worldwide, Flexenclosure is always able to bring creative ideas, fully tested solutions and total peace of mind.